Re: On not becoming discouraged

Subject: Re: On not becoming discouraged
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:34:34 -0800 (PST)

>>When I read all your postings, I am always concerned
>>with how very much I have to learn.

Mmmmm, sounds like you're stressed out. :(

You're right about there being a lot to learn, but truthfully, I don't think anyone ever learns it all. Their head would probably pop! :) Only worry about what you need to know for the job you're working on. If you've learned something in the past and you're starting to forget about it, you'll start remembering it when the time comes.

Does that mean that you shouldn't keep an eye on the future. Of course not. But you shouldn't be _focused_ on the future either. When it comes down to it, software is a dime a dozen. You can pretty much learn anything pretty quickly, or recall its little quirks after using it a little bit. What you might want to keep up on, however, is conceptual/high-level information, like document management, information design and so forth. That's knowledge that you'll always need no matter who you're working for or what you're producing.

If you still feel like you should be polishing up your skills, pick something you are interested in, and learn about it. If you don't want to lose your skills in, say HTML, then busy yourself with little projects that will keep the skills in your head without eating up too much of your time. You'll have a lot more fun that way and you'll keep your stress level down. Other than that, sit back and relax. Even with all of the headaches that I've bumped into in the past couple of years, I still love this profession and I enjoy it. You should try to too. :)

Sean Hower

technical writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Get 20MB of free web space now at http://www.freehomepage.com