RE: Tech writing course in vo-tech curriculum

Subject: RE: Tech writing course in vo-tech curriculum
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:18:23 -0700

I attended DeVry Institute in KC in the mid-eighties.

They had an English Comp class. The reason they had it was so they could
get certification as a college. It had very little to do with training
writers (I was allowed to skip the course, because I already had 28+ college
lit/english credits). Once you get certification as a college, all sorts of
financial aid packages open up to your students. This is the real trick.
Teach math, english, and science and you are a college.

As to teaching tech writing instead of composition, it is a great idea.
Engineers write more than any other profession (other than writers). I
would stay away from email, and other business-oriented writing and
concentrate on proposals, RFP's, reports, and the type of documents that
these students are going to be required to write.

I read an article once about the Colorado School of Mines doing away with
all of their English classes. Instead they integrated writing to all their
Engineering classes by assigning an English Prof to each Engineering class.
The article said the experiment was a success. This was 20 years ago. I
would love to know if this is still the norm at CSM. Vo-Tech schools could
learn something here. Don't make writing a separate course, make writing
part of engineering.

my .02
walden

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr