Re: Including content of one file of HTML in another?

Subject: Re: Including content of one file of HTML in another?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:18:42 -0800 (PST)

> Guy Haas is looking for help for his daughter, who asks: <<"Isn't
> there a
> way to create a navigation bar and store it in one file, and then
> have the
> pages of a website call it from that file and stick it at the top
> of their

Hate to say this, but Front Page does this well with no templates,

Create a paage called NavTop.htm and NavSide.htm

These are the navigation bar that you'd like to include on each page.
NavTop is in horizontal format for along the top or bottom of the
page and NavSide is in vertical format.

In each page, create the menu system.

On each page that you want to include a navigation menu, use a
feature of FP called "IncludePage" and specify the appropriate
navigation page.

Since I usualy format a page using a table matrix, I'll either create
a row or column and place this element in the cell. This element will
insert then insert the page being referenced (NavTop or NavSide) into
the page where you've referenced the page.

Now, when I add, change or remove pages on the vertical and
horizontal navigattion, all pages containing that file are updated.
When you do it through FR Explorer, when you save the site, all pages
are updated without having to open and save the pages individualy.

I know how a number of people feel about FP. However, the question
was can it be done. yes it can, and FWIW, the most recent FP uses
very little "bad code".

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr