RE: Tech writing course in vo-tech curriculum

Subject: RE: Tech writing course in vo-tech curriculum
From: "Cekis, Margaret" <Margaret -at- mediaocean -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 14:39:19 -0500

Patty Ewy [mailto:pewy -at- microsoft -dot- com] repoted that:

"A representative of the local vocational technical school has asked for
input regarding a proposed change to the computer curriculum track at the
school." [as] "an additional option for our students in the communications
area. We are discussing adding a Technical Writing class as an option in
place of the composition class that all of our students currently take. We
would like this class to concentrate on areas such as writing memos, Help
Files, RFP's, program documents, etc. along with general grammar and
punctuation rules.
_______________
Patty:

My daughter graduated from DeVry in Atlanta, and her required writing or
composition course was a technical writing course. I think it is a good
idea, and the course she took was probably more useful than a typical
composition course would have been. For instance, requiring tehnically
oriented individuals to summarize two or three articles on something like
java applications would be more likely to interest them than comparing two
short stories.
Reports, memos, speifications, RFPs, program documents, would all be useful
in a corporate environment. Help files and/or web pages may be a little too
tool-oriented for a composition course. Often, techies need to see a direct
application of a course's contents to their future employment to pay any
attention to it, and a TW course would have this.

Margaret Cekis
Margaret -at- mediaocean -dot- com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr