RE: Can't remove a "ghost" Field Code in MS Word 97/2000

Subject: RE: Can't remove a "ghost" Field Code in MS Word 97/2000
From: "writer -at- cts -dot- com" <writer -at- cts -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 10:22:52 -0800 (PST)

In case anyone is curious about a solution to my "ghost" field code
problem:

I isolated the part of the line that had the "ghost" field code (by putting
a carriage return after that portion of the line), and then I inserted a
text box around it. Then I deleted the text box (somehow capturing the
offending material). That worked! (Nothing else I had tried worked, and
turning on the reveal Field Codes setting didn't show up anything. I had 3
other indications of my problem, the most prominent of which was the
skipping of figure numbers.)

I hope no one has ever run into this problem -- or will in the
future. ;-)

-- Peter

Note that there were no characters or even spaces associated (linked) with
this "ghost" field code. It was as though it were the shaded area between
characters, spaces, etc., of the field code.

writer -at- cts -dot- com writes:
>I've inherited some files in my not-favorite word processor (that pretends
>to be desktop publishing). No option to change tools. :-(
>
>I looked in the MS KB, but found nothing helpful.
>
>My autonumbering of captions is messed up, and I find what appear to be
>"ghost" or remnant field codes in the document in between real captions,
>possibly someone improperly deleted previous ones? That is, the
>autonumbering goes from Figure 6 to Figure 8.
>
>When I select and right-click on the line of text with which the ghost is
>associated, I get the context menu with the two field code items. If I try
>to delete, cut, etc., the offending area, the ghost field code acts as tho
>it is in a different layer and remains, shifting to the text that is now
>over it.
>
>Anyway, anyone know how to get rid of them, other than starting the files
>from scratch? :-)
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>-- Peter
>
>PS Also, anyone know of a good Web resource that explains how to make MS
>Word's Master Document function actually work as advertised? ;-)

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr