RE: American Heritage Dictionary and grammar reference book

Subject: RE: American Heritage Dictionary and grammar reference book
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:04:44 -0000

Hi,

Well, I access my AHD as part of Microsoft BookShelf 2000, an excellent
resource that I install on every computer I use. It's dictionary,
thesaurus, encyclopedia, atlas and book of quotations all wrapped into
one, and is more efficient than surfing the Web for common questions. I
just had a look and the new version is actually now known as "Encarta
Reference Library 2002" at http://www.encarta.msn.com/shop/default.asp
(now shipping for USD $74.95). One advantage of BookShelf (and I don't
know if this is applicable in Encarta), is that you could install all
700 MB on your hard drive, and shelve the CD.

>From the look of things, the marketing folks at Microsoft has gotten
ahold of BookShelf and "productized" it into an unrecognizable "learning
experience". It now includes such dubious tools as "Encarta Africana",
"Encarta Researcher" and "Microsoft FactFinder". I know that Encarta had
a previous life before BookShelf was added, but it seems a bit of a
shame.

Note that I didn't find any mention of which dictionary Encarta
includes, so you may want to figure that out. Thanks. DB.