Re: Buying software oneself in order to learn it

Subject: Re: Buying software oneself in order to learn it
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:13:01 -0800

Win Day wrote:

Software is a professional tool, and counts as a business expense in Canada. I assume that it probably would in the United State and most industrial countries, so why not buy it? Having your own copy is very convenient.

If you're a full-time employee, though, I don't think you'd qualify. Don't you have to be an independent contractor to qualify for the tax break in Canada?

My understanding is that full-time employees could claim the deduction so long as they did work at home. However, if it came to an audit, you would probably have to show that you used all the software that you claimed for business. For example, if you claimed Acrobat as a business expense, but no company that employed you that year used Acrobat, you'd be out of luck.

Of course, like legal advice, any taxation advice given on this list should be followed with caution. The laws can vary considerably, depending on where you are, and I'm not an accountant.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr