RE: Consequences of not really understanding

Subject: RE: Consequences of not really understanding
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 8:8:7

Damien writes:
> Here in the UK, the Navy have such faith in the technology
> for wiping hard drives that on one job I did in the 80s
> they paid to have the drives smashed with a large hammer
> when the job was done :-)

Actually, IIRC, several engineering firms that work with government
contracts here in the 'States have the same "physical wipe" policy
regarding all equipment used for classified information -- even if the
equipment was rented. (This tends to shake up some of the companies renting
out equipment, since they tend to find out afterwards which assets were
liquidated,...er, "powdered".) The reason they do this is specifically
because they know there are ways to recover data through virtually every
electronic "wipe" methodology. Even a physically broken (i.e., snapped in
half) CD can be read by an enterprising individual, so if data needs to be
deleted from removable media, it has to be removed in a more thorough
manner (e.g., sanded off).

Shauna I.
(who sometimes wonders whether passing a large magnet or few over a drive
several times would sufficiently interfere with such data recovery
efforts)