RE: USAGE- Wisdom Tooth

Subject: RE: USAGE- Wisdom Tooth
From: "Tom Johnson" <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:40:50 -0500

I don't know, the first use of impacted I ever heard, back in the 60's, had
to do with large chunks of rock hitting the moon creating impact craters. Of
course, my own experience may not mean it is right. I caught myself saying
"unraveled" the other day. I guess our language has a way of changing and
eventually we start using the language we hear. So, to put a techwr-l spin
on this, we need to spend time talking with our SME folks so we know the
language they are speaking. An astronomer will use words differently than a
physician which means we need to know the context words are being used in.
And, we need to be aware of how words can be misinterpreted by different
audiences.

Tom Johnson
231-264-5661 voice
231-264-5663 fax

Work johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
Personal tjohnson -at- i2k -dot- com

> Another correct usage is the medical term "impacted bowels,"
> which refers to
> what clinicians call "substantial constipation." I, too,
> shudder when I read
> or hear people using the word "impacted" in anything other
> than a medical
> context . . . for all the obvious reasons!
>
> K.
>

> | I heard somewhere that the word "impacted" should be used
> only in relation
> | to dental hygiene- more specifically "an impacted wisdom tooth".
> |
> | For other situations, "affected" or "influenced" should
> suffice. (Re: John
> | Posada's earlier post- impacted stake holders..). So,
> whenever I use
> | "impacted", I feel a twinge of guilt. Anyone on my side?
> |
> | -Meena

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr