Re: Headhunders ad the recession

Subject: Re: Headhunders ad the recession
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 16:00:15 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

Its also the last place to go if you're looking for a job. Very few if any
firms are using recruiters or agencies right now. There is no reason to.
Its an employer's market now. Why pay 20% or more in commissions when
there are flocks of people available directly.
Not only that, but companies are often not advertising in newspapers or on job sites. If companies are listing jobs at all, they're doing so on their own web sites. Increasingly, they filter even more by insisting that applicants fill out on an on-line form, rather than simply send an e-mail with a resume attached. These approaches have the advantage of filtering out dozens of unsuitable resumes, and freeing the poor soul who would otherwise have to sort through them for more important things (like almost anything). At least the company knows that anyone applying for a job listed only on its own site has some initiative and resourcefulness.

Some figures from my own experience in the last five months: I've had two leads from recruiters, one a long shot and neither of which has resulted in any work. Doing my own searching, I've landed four contracts, and have another three or four, some of which will almost certainly turn into paying work in the next few months. None of these successful leads were advertised in any place except a company web site, and many of them weren't even advertised there. I don't ignore the recruiters, since the situation may change, but I don't count on them, either.

But, then again, I never did, even in good times. Recruiters are just one of half a dozen sources of work, and I wouldn't count on any single oneof them.

"No safe house in Birmingham, I found no peace in Skye,
The green fields of Derry were just another lie,
Wrap the barbed wire round me, say I don't belong,
Kick me till I couldn't move, then tell me to move on."
-OysterBand, "The Deserter"

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr