Re: Technical Writer Questions

Subject: Re: Technical Writer Questions
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:37:09 +1000

Steve,
You need to do some more research, because almost all of your statements are wrong. Seek out the local STC (Society for Technical Communication) chapter and find out the real story from them about salaries, conract-vs-permanent work, jobs in your area, and so on.

To get a better idea of the real situation, I suggest you go read everything on the TECHWR-L website and some of the sites it links to. http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/

It's much more important to know about planning, researching, and writing of the content -- and enough about the subjects you're likely to be writing about -- than it is to know how to use specific tools.

That said, knowing some common tools will certainly help. I've also got some hints on my website for ways to get cheap (but legal) copies of expensive programs to practice on.

http://www.jeanweber.com/news/tenews4.htm#tip4
http://www.jeanweber.com/news/tenews5.htm#cheap

One way that isn't mentioned in those hints is eBay, where you can sometimes get legal copies of software for significantly reduced prices.

One tool that the majority of available techwriting jobs requires is Microsoft Word. Learn it, and especially learn the tricky bits that apply in techwriting situations, which are often different from general business uses. (Besides, you'll need to know some of Word's quirks before you can use RoboHelp effectively.) See sig for my book on the subject.

Good luck!

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
Now available: Taming Microsoft Word, 100 pages of tips and tricks for business and technical documents. For a contents list, downloading and payment information, go to: http://www.jeanweber.com/books/tameword.htm

Still available: Editing Online Help, a tool-independent introduction to
planning, developing, and editing online help systems. For a table of
contents, go to: http://www.jeanweber.com/books/olhbk.htm

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr