Dialogue (was: Quality of source material from Development)

Subject: Dialogue (was: Quality of source material from Development)
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:06:10 -0000

Nora Merhar wrote:
>I have been on this list off and on for much of its existence. When I
>rejoined earlier this year, I was amazed at how little it has changed, and
>how easily I can predict the responses of some of the long-time members. It
>can be an excellent resource--however, I have decided NOT to feel
inadequate
>any more when my experience does not reflect that of many of the other
>members of the list.

I've only been on this list for about two and a half years, but long enough
<g> that you could probably predict my responses to some topics (ahem). The
value of this list to me (and I consider it one of the most valuable
resources I have access to, as a lone technical writer) is two-fold: access
to a large number of well-informed and intelligent people who are willing
and able to answer questions (data exchange) and the opportunity to engage
in
genuine dialogue. I appreciate greatly Eric and Deborah's efforts to keep
the list clear of off-topic idle talk and casual speech (even when my wrist
is the one that gets slapped!). Verbal tyranny (which unfortunately
sometimes appears more impressive than genuine dialogue) is a drawback, but
on a mailing list, verbal tyrants can far more easily be ignored - and
should be. One joy of genuine dialogue is that it leads to unpredictable,
unknown, and therefore more interesting conclusions.

(The terms idle talk, casual speech, verbal tyranny, and genuine dialogue
are borrowed from an article I read on the Vocabula Review recently: "The
Art of Conversation", by Tim Buck
<http://www.vocabula.com/VRNOV01Buck.htm>.)

Jane Carnall
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone. Apologies
for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and outwith my
control.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr