Single Sourcing

Subject: Single Sourcing
From: Diane Evans <DianeE -at- LOCKSTREAM -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:48:25 -0800

Our company is starting to read and use documentation. Finally!

Anyway, we are quickly reaching a need to move towards single sourcing. I
have been reading and researching the subject, but now have a simple
question. What software is best for this? I don't want to start a tools
war, just want some varying opinions from those of you who are in the
trenches.

Background: We have four major products (SDKs), and two minor products
(also SDKs, but the developers won't let us call them that. They just call
them "Help Files"). Each product requires a brochure, a white paper, a
detailed spec (a technical spec with the programming missing, just the names
and explanations of the API calls), and a PowerPoint presentation. The SDK
changes frequently, as does the terminology. It would be nice to be able to
change things in just one file that would then be used throughout our
documents.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Diane Evans
Information Developer
Lockstream, Inc.
425-709-6840 x 230

Ask for the moon, and settle for its reflection in the pond in your back
yard.