Re: Survey: "Screen shots"

Subject: Re: Survey: "Screen shots"
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:29:41 -0700

I've done a lot of "bitmap surgery" to screen shots, but have never gone
to the extent of creating simulated screens with a vector tool.

Sounds like a lot of work, but if you're A) patient enough, B) good with a
vector program, and C) really, REALLY careful to reproduce all pertinent
screen parts, I guess there's nothing wrong with it.

But I can't imagine having so much difficulty with bitmaps that I'd be
willing to go to all that work.

I've found that on any given system (which can involve the product you're
documenting, the machine(s) you use, and your printer/Distiller settings)
getting bitmaps to cooperate is a job you do ONCE. It IS a challenge, but
in my experience once you solve the basic problem of getting bitmap
screenshots to appear correctly (after an admittedly frustrating period of
tweaking), you can just start dumping them into your docs.

To each his or her own.... Good luck in VectorLand!

- Keith Cronin

Tech writing. It's not ALL fast cars and Hollywood parties. But most of
the time it is. Really.