RE: Costing Proposals

Subject: RE: Costing Proposals
From: "Carey Jennifer (Cry)" <jennifer -dot- carey -at- cdi -dot- cerberus -dot- ch>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:41:22 +0100

My opinion:

Make a best guess estimate on the hours necessary for actual work. Don't be
stingy.
Add 15-20 percent in administration.
Add 10 percent for unexpected things going wrong.
Multiply the total number of hours by your rate (don't forget to add tax if
necessary.)

Let him know that this estimate is only for this unit as each one will
naturally vary in complexity and workload. Also, try to establish a way to
get more time so you can do better estimates for future units.

Write a Statement of Work (I would be happy to provide you with a model) for
the unit clarifying timeframe, general work process, dependencies,
assumptions and the change management process. Once you agree on the terms
and it is signed, potential misunderstandings will likely be avoided.

During the process of working on this unit, keep close track of how you
spend your time along the way. You can then use that information to make a
better estimate for the next unit. If you do this with each unit, you'll get
better and better at the estimates along the way.

Good luck!
Jennifer