In defence of "invoke" (was RE: When the thesaurus attacks...)

Subject: In defence of "invoke" (was RE: When the thesaurus attacks...)
From: "dbarefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:54:30 -0000

Hi,

While I generally agree with everybody else's opinions on the subject of
an end-user "invoking" a program, there are plenty of occasions where
this term is applicable. Because I'm writing for software development
tools, I use this term on a daily basis to, as the dictionary defines
it, "invoke (in-vok') verb To call or activate; used in reference to
commands and subroutines." For example, just yesterday I wrote "In
addition to SOAPDirect and other XML clients, you can also invoke Web
services using your Web browser."

I'm personally fond of the term, especially when it comes to making
invocations of things across the Internet. It seems appropriate that one
component is sort of optimistically conjuring or summoning another
component across the Web. Nonetheless, it should be reserved for
programming references, as opposed to simply starting a program. My two
cents. Thanks. DB.