Re: Screenshots of GUI: copyrighted?

Subject: Re: Screenshots of GUI: copyrighted?
From: "D Boos" <dboos -at- qwest -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:01:57 -0800

I'm usually a lurker, but I can speak to copyright...

I just did a paper on copyright for a graduate class. I am not an attorney
or authority on copyright, but I know more than I did.

1. *Fair Use* means the items being copied is copyrighted. The fair use is
definition doesn't included use for personal gain.
2. The material no longer has to be published to be copyrighted. I suggest
assuming the material is copyrighted unless you KNOW it's in the public
domain.
3. Material is copyrighted EVEN if it doesn't have the copyright symbol on
it.
4. Software, graphics, multimedia, web sites, etc. are covered by the
copyright laws.

One thing surprised me. I have taken classes in web development and
graphics. We were told to copy pictures and/or code then alter it. This was
supposed to prevent copyright violation. From what I learned while doing my
research, I don't think it does.

The definition of copyright clearly states that the creator has the right of
its use and its derivatives. Wouldn't a graphic I copied and altered be
considered a derivative?

Diane