Re: no degree equals demotion

Subject: Re: no degree equals demotion
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 23:51:13 -0500

EP,

Normally, when I respond to someone on-list, I do the bandwidth-considerate thing and snip unnecessary copy, like their sig. But in your case, the sig raises an interesting question. You're apparently working for a feminist, girl-power sort of outfit--people who see themselves as cutting-edge, with-it kinda folks, right? But now they're coming at you with this antediluvian policy.

I'm sorry, but that's just too weird. Someone in HR has to buy slightly bigger shoes or something. I'm not sure there is anything you can actually do about the situation in the short term, but when the economy picks up in a few months, find yourself a better place to work. And tell them why you're leaving.

On the other hand, if you have the kind of relationship with your manager in which you can tell her what you think, you could point out to her that modern companies evaluate people based on what they can do, not based on their school transcripts. If she wants to keep you around and she agrees with you, maybe she can lobby with senior management for a recision of the new policy.

Good luck with this,

Dick

EP Leigh wrote:

Recently my manager told me she had to submit job titles based on descriptions that were given to her by HR. This is because our company is going through a salary audit. She told me that because I don't have a bachelors degree, I am being demoted to a Junior Technical Writer.
I have been working at my current job for nearly four years. Three and a half of those years I have had the title of Technical Writer. I have the most seniority of anyone in my department. I have been seeking a degree for some time and I am a junior, but being employed full-time does not allow me to take as many classes as I would like.
I am wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience. Because of this title change I will not be getting the adjustment that everyone else will receive.
BUST Magazine: For Women with Something to Get Off Their Chests
Subscribe at http://www.bust.com

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr