RE: Robohelp and version control

Subject: RE: Robohelp and version control
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 9:19:5

Originally, I just sent this to Jill, but after reading a few more posts in
the thread, I figure it might be of more general interest:
---------------------------
Semi-related question, maybe helpful, maybe not: How are you checking in
the helpfile?

I ask because I know some version control software has configuration
settings that react differently to different file extensions. For example,
there are warnings in the PVCS helpfile that setting "Translate EOL" or
"Expand Keywords" will corrupt binary files, but not text files. Setting
the "Record Length" option on variable length files will corrupt the
archive, too. (I am just starting to deal with PVCS as our version control
software.) Our PVCS administrator left those settings as the defaults
shipped, but when I checked, several of those defaults were set
incorrectly, according to the helpfile.

Since I'm using ForeHelp for my help projects, I chose to check in only the
compiled file and the backup file for the project, rather than all the
active files, since the backup file has everything in it in one file (i.e.,
I can check it out, expand it, and run from there). Since we're just
starting, I haven't checked things in and out enough to see if I'm getting
corruption this way, but I'm maintaining my own backup copy of each version
in a homebrewed directory system of my own, just in case the archive
corrupts.

Look for "configure file types" or the like in your software's helpfile or
reference manual, and see if maybe some default settings are the cause of
the corruption.

Shauna
(remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get
you!)