RE: What help? (was RE: Help on Procedure Writing

Subject: RE: What help? (was RE: Help on Procedure Writing
From: Diane Evans <DianeE -at- LOCKSTREAM -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:40:03 -0800

Kyle say, "Oh, drat! This was a rant, wasn't it? Sorry..."

Sometimes we need to rant.

I was recently asked to write a help file for a small program. The
interface included a Browse button, which I could not find a use for. It
turns out that the browse button was so that a developer could browse to a
secure server. Even when this program is released to our customers, they
will not be able to browse to that server. It took me 15 minutes to get the
developer to understand how confusing this would be to our customers.

What did the "What's This" say for this button? "Browse...", of course. I
changed it to "This button is not functional in release 1.0."

Diane Evans
Information Developer
Lockstream, Inc.
425-709-6840 x 230

Ask for the moon, and settle for its reflection in the pond in your back
yard.