RE: Russian words in German HTML documents

Subject: RE: Russian words in German HTML documents
From: Bill Burns <wdburns -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 07:39:51 -0700

This page - http://home.att.net/~jameskass/ - may be of some use to you. It
discusses multiple language support in browsers, and includes some nifty
charts of Unicode characters. From the looks of things, you can insert
unicode tags in HTML pages like this <p>&#1013;</p>, which appears to be an
example of a cyrillic character (I'm not really up on my Russian). Browser
versions may be an issue, but I think that page may have some info on it.

Also check out the W3Cs internationalization web site at http://www.w3c.org/international/.

HTML 4 allows you to use language attributes in tags, as well as directionality attributes (which are unnecessary for Russian, but pretty cool to play around with). "Web Design in a Nutshell" (ISBN 1565925157) and "HTML Unleashed" (ISBN 1575212994) both have chapters on internationalizing HTML, as well as making multilingual web pages.

Bill Burns
Burns Technical Communications
208-336-0861
wdburns -at- mindspring -dot- com

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr