Re: certificates and the current job market

Subject: Re: certificates and the current job market
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 13:25:14 -0700

I think that rather than going after some kind of certificate, just take
specific classes that can increase your marketability. I say that as a
writer who has done just that, and I say it as somebody that screens,
interviews, and hires people.

In the time it takes you to get a certificate in Web Design (for example),
you might be able to take a programming class, an HTML class, a tech
writing class, a networking class, etc.

You've said money is a concern, so I think this approach would give you
more bang for the buck.

If you notice that a lot of the jobs in your area ask for the same
qualifications, such as XML, OOP, etc., then that can be your guide for
choosing which classes to take.

On your resume, in the spot where you were going to list your
certification, instead say something like "CU Denver 2002: Pursued a
career-targeted curriculum including programming, Web design, desktop
publishing..." (or whatever classes you take).

Employers LIKE the fact that you're keeping your skills current, and are
more impressed by the skills themselves than in the rather arbitrary
certificates.

One exception is MCSE - that is a certificate that IS taken seriously. If
you have the time and money, that's another route to consider...

Good luck!

- Keith Cronin

The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in school was my blood alcohol content.