Status of the TW market (in this case, NY/NJ)

Subject: Status of the TW market (in this case, NY/NJ)
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 12:38:13 -0800 (PST)

Hi, guys...a couple of weeks ago, someone started the thread re the
status of the market and whether it is picking up or not.

Following are my observations, YMMV.

In general, yes, I think it is, but not across the board. This is
based on having been contacted for about 5 gigs in the last month.

It seems that what they are looking for is senior level. Take for
example, the last two contacts; one today and one a week ago. The
requirements, it seemed, were a concentration on skills that would
previously have been handled by a TW manager; prioritization, project
management, etc. They stressed working without supervision. Its kinda
like they are finding out that you get what you pay for and that
there really is a value in aving someone with expereince instead of
just their own laptop and a copy of Word.

The one today...after I said I wasn't available, I was asked if I
knew of anyone looking. I said "I'm surprised that YOU don't have a
list of candidates." His response was that he had a bunch of writers,
but nobody with the level of experience that he was looking for."
When I said I didn't know of someone who came to mind, he asked if he
could send me information about the position and if I'd refer anyone
I come across. I said sure. The one last week went the same way.

Another factor that makes me think things are turning around is that
Monster.com sends me emails if they come across positions that meet a
query profile that I set up. I have four of them, based on
geographical regions. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I'd get
sporadic emails with one regions listed. Recently, the emails are
coming more often, sometimes almost every other day, and they list
three or all four regions.

So...maybe this is coincidence, maybe not.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer

http://shopping.yahoo.com