RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:35:43 -0500

McCarter, Kim [mailto:kmccarte -at- harris -dot- com] sez:

> How frequently do I travel on business?
>
> Only for training, really - Once a year or less frequently.

Ditto for me. And this year, it's been "less frequently".

Even at the best of times, it's hard to make a business case
for sending me anywhere at company expense.

In better years, I've gone to STC and other "trade"
shows/conventions, and even then, the only justification
was "to fulfill the 'training/professional-development'
requirement on Kevin's evaluation".

Needless to say, while I always get good evaluations,
I really, really make it a point to include as my
improvement goal for the coming year, some kind of
(usually vague) training.

Nobody here is motivated to research my field for me,
so they take my word that the training or the professional
conferences I need are always somewhere sunnier and warmer
than Ottawa, Canada. Ahem.

And don't none of you rat on me, y'hear?

Another local writer (who shall remain nameless) and I
were talking about just this topic, especially as we'd
heard a rumor that local STC types were thinking of
beefing up local classes and seminars and even proselytizing
directly to our employers. That unamed writer and I
decided that if this looked to be getting off the ground
in any meaningful way, she and I.... er, I mean s/he and
I ... would have to "clean out the nest"...

/kevin