RE: Providing editable docs to clients

Subject: RE: Providing editable docs to clients
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:35:08 +1100

1) If they want word, give em RTF. Its quite readable from word...

2) A simple caveat to the extent of "Documentation can be provided in a
number of formats but no support will be available for any editable format."
will perhaps help them come to the PDF party voluntarily.

3) "We cannot be held responsible for any documentation that is provided in
an editable format as unauthorised changes may have occurred." Also, giving
them rtf means none of your official logos in the h&f's comes through :-)

4) Yes - but the users know best and information wants to be free.

5) No it doesn't. Their purchase of your product gives them "reasonable use"
of your documentation - if that means mangling it beyond recognition that's
their business.

6) Of course not - which is why they have to pay for the product.

7) Your role is to provide useable documentation. If the products use gets
tailored to a client environment the client is going to have to do up
manuals that refer to yours with excruciating cross-references. Clients
would prefer to cut n paste huge chunks of detail into their procedure
manuals.

Steve Hudson , HDK List MVP
Wright Technologies Pty Ltd (Aus) EyeSpring - the future of graphics has
been created.