RE: Ethics and Job-Hunting

Subject: RE: Ethics and Job-Hunting
From: "Tom Johnson" <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 17:05:37 -0500

I've turned down a project writing a manual/help for liquor dispensing
software project. I probably wouldn't work for the tobacco industry either.
I would agree with your opinions on pornography and gambling. Another field
that I would find unacceptable would be abortion.

On the other hand, I personally think I would find working on Carnivore
interesting. Not because of nosing into anyone's business, but because it is
such a fascinating subject. I do agree that in the wrong hands it would be
abused. As a side note, I did have a chance to work on some sophisticated
encryption software. Not the software itself, but the software for
controlling the keys to encrypt and decrypt radio transmissions. These
radios were used by the DEA, FBI and probably some other "agencies." That
makes me think of a "funny" story. A druggie picked up a radio that was
dropped during a drug raid and managed to escape with it. The authorities
realizing that a radio had been compromised, sent out a bogus encryption key
to the radio to disable it. The druggie thinking the radio had been damaged
when it was dropped, took it to a shop to get it fixed. Thanks to an alert
technician, police nabbed the guy. That ranks right up there with trying to
pawn a police pistol.

I think anyone working in a field that they have moral objections to ought
to have their head examined. No matter what your stance is on an issue, I
can't imagine it would be healthy to work contrary to those beliefs. As far
as I know, we don't have conscientious objector positions in the technical
writing field.

snip

> But enough about me. Does anyone else have areas that they would have
> scruples about?
>
> --
> Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com

Tom Johnson
231-264-5661 voice
231-264-5663 fax

Work johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com