Framemaker Variables in Variables?

Subject: Framemaker Variables in Variables?
From: "Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EAA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:13:52 +1100

Hi there all,

Perhaps someone out there can help me. I am using Framemaker, and just had a
lazy, but cunning, developer ask me if he can embed a variable inside a
variable when using framemaker.

Now if I was using I would just turn on the "hidden code" option to view the
variable, copy it's structure and include it in the new variable. However
this is not going to happen in Framemaker - at least to my knowledge.

* So is there anyone out there who know how I can view a Framemaker
variable's code?

* Or a button I can click to add a variable into another new variable?
(Okay clicking a button might be asking too much, I am happen to key in some
characters if required ;-)

The example was that the Developer wanted to attach the variable for the
Version Number of the document, to the product name.

Thus when creating the variable you would have
"XYZProduct_<VersionNumbervariable>" - giving a result when you inserted
this variable of "XYZProduct_Version 2.0".

Note: I have successfully informed the Developer that as the product name is
not going to be constantly changing that just entering the Product Name, and
then inserting after it the VersionNumber variable will achieve his aims.
However after some quiet reflection I can see where a variable in a variable
could be very handy - so in order to keep a step ahead of the game.....I am
asking if anyone has a solution, or an idea I can try.

regards and thanks in advance,
Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes
Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au

(61) (03) 9301-1695

EAA/N,
Melbourne Central, Level 49.12,
360 Elizabeth Street,