Re: ADMIN: Rumors and issues

Subject: Re: ADMIN: Rumors and issues
From: johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:21:22

> Here's an interesting defense. The State of
> Washington has passed an anti-spam law. For
> every piece of spam, the user can sue for
> $500 and the receiving ISP for $1000. So a
> Washington user group have set up:
>
> http://www.wa-state-resident.com/
>
> For $12 a year you can have an address there
> that automatically forwards to your actual
> account wherever. No spammer with more than
> .05% of a clue will spam such an address.

I've just taken a similar step myself.

Earlier today, I set up a special account on hotmail--just for handling my
subscription to this list.

Junk filtering is set to high. Once I've worked out the various addresses
that our list administrator uses to send messages to subscribers, I will
add those addresses to the account address book and up junk filtering to
exclusive. (That means, only mail from addresses in the account address
book will be accepted.)

> Of course, most spammers fail that test, so
> you will get spam. Just forward it to the
> admins at wa-state-resident.com. They have
> a lawyer on retainer and a policy of suing
> for their $1000 per message whenever they
> can find the spammer.

I love it.

--
John Fleming