Font Tags Considered Harmful... but probably not by me

Subject: Font Tags Considered Harmful... but probably not by me
From: "Mike Starr" <writstar -at- wi -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 02:12:34 -0600

At Sandy's recommendation, I wandered over to the w3.org site and read the
"Font Tags Considered Harmful" section and I have to say that their
reasoning seems to me to be rather poor. Now don't get me wrong... I prefer
to do stuff with styles so the objective they're advocating is fine.
However, font tags are harmful?? Maintenance becomes impractical?
Puhleeze!!! Give me a break. They're saying that some tools produce HTML
that's difficult to maintain but it seems to me that the tools that produce
this "non-standard" HTML don't have a bit of trouble maintaining it. Now
okay, I'll acknowledge that if I produce an HTML document with Word (or
Dreamweaver or any other WYSIWYG tool) and then try to edit it with
Notepad, I may have a difficult time following the HTML Difficult but not
that difficult. But if I produced the original document with Word, why
wouldn't I just maintain it with Word?

Now I know I'm a contrary old fart and sometimes I just like to stir the
pot (this just might be one of 'em but I won't tell) but unless I'm missing
something obvious, their argument just doesn't hold water and smacks more
of the purist's insistance that I not spoil the pristine beauty of
"natural" HTML. Anybody want to give me a more convincing argument than
w3c's??

Mike (see what happens when I've got too much spare time) Starr

---
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Technical Illustrator
Graphic Designer - Desktop Publisher - MS Office Expert
Office: (262) 694-1028 - Pager: (414) 318-9509 - Fax: (262) 697-6334
Home (262) 694-0932 - mike -at- writestarr -dot- com - http://www.writestarr.com