RE: Notes, tips, and warnings... oh my!

Subject: RE: Notes, tips, and warnings... oh my!
From: "Denise L. Moss-Fritch" <denise -dot- fritch -at- os -dot- varian -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:23:04 -0800

-----Original Message-----

> Here is my question: Do notes, tips, and warnings really help the user
find
> the information he/she needs? Or, do they just break up the flow of
> information and make it harder to understand the task being described?

I suppose there is no "cast in concrete" answer for _all_ tech writing in
answer to your question. The response will depend upon the industry.

I currently work in a highly regulated (meaning FDA and foreign equivalents)
industry. All our publication are reviewed by our company's internal
Regulatory Department before release. The content of Notes, Cautions, and
Warnings are carefully read.

Denise L. Moss-Fritch
Sr. Tech Writer
Varian Medical Systems