RE :New department name for training and writing

Subject: RE :New department name for training and writing
From: "Susan Jelus" <susan -dot- jelus -at- daytonrcs -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:28:20 -0500

I once worked in a large department of people who designed and wrote
training guides and user manuals at a computer software company. the
department was called "Instructional Development and Documentation."

Now I'm a lone writer of online help, manuals, and training materials at a
smaller company. So I can name my own department. I think I like the
following department names better:

Information Development
Information Design and Delivery
Technical Publications

The "Development" label might buy you some respect if your company is
dominated by techie software developers. The "Design" label might help you
determine the appearance/basic characteristics of your documents and get you
involved earlier in the development process (notice I said "MIGHT").
"Design" also implies the graphic design element of developing training
materials, which might be good if you're making CBT or lots of PowerPoint
presentations. "Publications" is easiest to understand.

On the lighter side, see my job title below. (I'm a Dentist who works in
the United Nations and changes oil on the side)

Susan Jelus
Technical Information Extractor, Translator, and Funnel
Research Computer Services Inc
Dayton Ohio USA