Re: Linux at work (real world) + and at HOME

Subject: Re: Linux at work (real world) + and at HOME
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:33:58 -0800

Ed -dot- Hawco -at- acecomm -dot- com wrote:

My question, then: If I install Linux (such as RedHat) on my machine at
home, will it be able to work with my:

- Epson inkjet printer
- scanner
- digital camera
- ZIP drive
- CD R/RW
- DVD-ROM
- sound card
- Palm handheld

Unfortunately, your list isn't very specific, and I wouldn't have all the details at my fingertips to help you if it was. All I can really say is that some models of all this hardware work under LInux - not whether your specific equipment does.

Linux hardware support is reasonably good, but it still pays to do a little research. You could start with www.linux-doc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html and other Linux hardware compatibility lists. Check hardware manufacturer sites, and Linux distribution sites for more information, and also consider emulation. For example, virtually any postscript printer will work with the Linux drivers for an HP postscript printer.

The hardware to watch out for is the stuff that requires a copy of Windows to run. This hardware is mostly modems and some printers (fortunately, this kind of printer never really went over big). Some of this Windows-dependent hardware has Linux drivers, but, unfortunately, the drivers tend to be specific to a specific kernel, and stop working if you ever upgrade the kernel.

Another warning: scanners and CD R/RWs work best if you've got a SCSI card, or SCSI emulation in the Linux kernel. Fortunately, most modern distributions will set up SCSI emulation if it's needed as you install; I really would suggest that a new user should try customizing the kernel.

For new users, I'd suggest trying the Mandrake distribution. It's perhaps the friendliest flavor of Linux. However, don't get a version that has just been released; Mandrake has a reputation for buggy first releases. Get an older version, or wait about three months for the bugs to be stomped out in the newest version.

If you're just interested in trying Linux, the best thing to do is to partition your hard drive using a tool like GNU parted or Partition Magic, putting Windows and Linux on separate partitions. You'll probably also want at least one 125 megabyte partition for a Linux swap partition. When the install program offers to add a boot manager, do so. Then, whenever your computer starts, you can choose which operating system to use. This setup is very stable, but, if you're installing on a new machine, install Windows first.; otherwise, the boot sector of the hard drive may be overwritten before you an blink. It's also a good idea to have a Linux boot disk handy if you upgrade Windows, so that you can reinstall the boot manager after the upgrade.

"And here's the latest phrase you hear as you walk down the street,
Oh, you can't be up-to-date if you don't call out when you meet,
'Are you working?' 'No, are you?'"
-British Music Hall Song, 1922

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr