Re: Linux at work (real world)

Subject: Re: Linux at work (real world)
From: "C. Janzen" <cjanzen -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:38:56 -0600

VMWare lets you run both Windows & Linux stuff on the same machine at the same time. I don't use it anymore (for a variety of reasons having nothing to do with the product), but it's a cool deal.

Also, I knew some some developers who used Linux as their regular environment, even though they were writing software for Windows. They worked in Linux and used VMWare to do any Windows stuff they HAD to do. They had an array of team-oriented project development tools, including software that let them have virtual meetings and office space (I want to say it was like CVS, CSV, SCV or something like that). I, unfortuneately, have been gone long enough I can't remember the other software products' names (sigh). The team almost exclusively telecommuted as well. It was a beautiful thing. GNOME's a great desktop, as was KDE (GNOME fan, here though). I've heard the new commerical implementations of Linux (like Red Hat, &c.) are user friendly and don't require as much tweaking, at least for the average Joe and Jane.

Don't know if any of the above helped. Just my $.0195 (downwardly adjusted after editing all day...)
Catherine

Hart, Geoff wrote:

<snip>

And to borrow an advertising slogan, "why not do both?" With a little
planning, you can run both Linux and Windows on the same computer--though
probably not at the same time. This would let you use Windows applications
when you have to, and Linux the rest of the time, thereby using the right
tool for the right job. Worth a thought?

Catherine Janzen

Write Method, LLC
PO Box 13113
Overland Park, KS 66282-3113
(913) 383-8535
cjanzen -at- mindspring -dot- com

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr