RE: entering tech writer field

Subject: RE: entering tech writer field
From: "Pete Sanborn" <psanborn2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:06:41 -0500

John, you make good sense but, these days, if your kid wants to be a techie
and make good money, don't waste the time and money pursuing college
degrees. Go for the certs like MSCE, CCNA, CCIE, etc. That's where the
bucks are. Too many companies can't pay network types enough money to stay
because another company down the street will pay $5 - 10K more.

If I had it to do over again, I'd take all my GI Bill money and apply it
toward DBA and network certs. For the foreseeable future, that is where the
best paying jobs are going to be.

(Meter ran out. My $0.02 are spent)

Regards,
Pete Sanborn

From: Win Day [mailto:winday -at- home -dot- com]

Here's a question for the list (and I know I'm going to get a LOT of
different answers!):

Let's say your kid (OK, he's 18 and much bigger than I am!) says he
WANTS
to get into technical writing and knowledge management. What course of
undergraduate study would you recommend, and why?

====================

Computer Science and/or Electrical Engineering. He might learn that
writing instructions for machines is far more lucrative that writing
instructions for their users :)

He might also learn that designing the machines is evem more fun and
profitable.

Tech writing is a good "second career" for old codgers (like me) who
still want do do something, but at a slower pace in the work place.

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer (retired nuclear engineer)
Acres Gaming, Inc.