RE: entering tech writer field

Subject: RE: entering tech writer field
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:46:03 -0500

At 11:31 AM 19/11/2001 -0700, kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

There's room in this field for writers coming from a variety of
backgrounds - let's be honest, this field is made up almost entirely of
career-changers. What little kid ever told his parents "When I grow up, I
wanna be a tech-writer?"

Here's a question for the list (and I know I'm going to get a LOT of different answers!):

Let's say your kid (OK, he's 18 and much bigger than I am!) says he WANTS to get into technical writing and knowledge management. What course of undergraduate study would you recommend, and why?

I came into the field from chemical engineering. Maths and sciences are not Greg's strong suits, although he does read and understand some fairly technical stuff written for the lay audience. He is a good reader, writer, and listener. And this kid has treasured facts almost since he was born (started talking about then too, it seems).

Suggestions?

Win

Win Day
Multimedia Developer

http://www.wordsplus.net
mailto:winday -at- wordsplus -dot- net

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr