PDF strategies

Subject: PDF strategies
From: Joyce Fetterman <JoyceF -at- gtsoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:18:32 -0500

I've got a book that explains the Acrobat software. What I haven't found is
a resource that explains the *strategies* in setting up documents for use
with PDF.

For example, when I'm creating a manual that will be printed, I create each
chapter as a separate WP file. I just need to tell the printer the correct
order of the files, and I'm done. Generated cross-references in the document
display the correct chapter/page number references. If I want to take the
same manual (let's say 10 "chapters", 250 pages) and convert it to PDF, do I
have to create a master document, or can I convert the individual files?
What are the deciding factors? What are the pros and cons for each method?
Can I maintain a single source with links and references that can be used
for both printed and PDF format? Is it a problem to have page numbers reset
for each chapter... Those are some of the questions I don't see answered in
the books.

So, can anyone point me to a reference that provides help in *planning* the
PDF docs, not just the how-to?

Please copy me with responses, as I'm on digest. Thanks.
Joyce
joycef -at- gtsoftware -dot- com