Re: [The skeletons in the web-site closet]

Subject: Re: [The skeletons in the web-site closet]
From: Hannah <to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 15 Nov 2001 09:35:01 EST

KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:
> So, um, what do you folks feel about having faces of
> employees decoratively slapped all over a company
> web site, when about half of the faces belong to people
> who have since been laid off?
>
> Is it as tacky as I think it is?

I think it depends on how these pics are displayed. Some responses assume
these are head shots with some sort of text saying "Bob Smith processes our
post-sales accounts", while others assume these pics are of workers doing
their job (i.e., a group of professionally dressed individuals obviously
working on a piece of equipment). The two are very different.

I would take the advice of obtaining "professional" pics. There are no issues
with royalties/complaints/law suits. However, you do lose some of the personal
edge some companies desire. An alternative is to replace these pics with new
ones (of employees who work there) and update them when necessary. To cover
the royalty/complaints/law suit angle, have them sign a release. Try to choose
individuals who are less likely to be laid off. If they are head shots though,
they need to be changed. It could be embarrassing to a potential client if he
looks on the website and sees that Bob Smith is the post sales rep, calls up,
and is told Bob Smith no longer works there.

On the intranet side of things, my company has an employee directory where
employees upload their own picture (if they want), can enter skills they
possess, and have a bio area. We're spread out over several states and this
helps to make us more cohesive. You can even look up those who are no longer
with the company.

I remember going to a website of a company I used to work for and there was a
picture of two guys who still work there. The difference is at the time the
pic was taken they were mechanics (it's a car dealership). Now one of the
brothers is in upper management, yet they still have his pic of him in his
mechanic's coveralls. Most people just find it amusing. It is a bit different
from those that have been fired/laid off, but still amusing.

hannah bissell
to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1