Re: Tech Writing and English departments and research (somewhat long)

Subject: Re: Tech Writing and English departments and research (somewhat long)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:21:02 -0800

walden miller wrote:

wm: tech writing programs are funded, even in English departments.

I'm talking about the struggle to establish new programs. Many post secondary institutions are either establishing tech writing programs for the first time, or considering expanding what they offer.

wm: Medicine doesn't have an academic orientation, any more than any
profession. They just have a better organization with better PR. STC is
not a visible organization to the public; the AMA is.

It's not a matter of professional organizations. At any rate, the STC is not even remotely comparable to any medical professional association.

Catch a doctor out on a piece of research, and you'll get an embarrassed reaction or a lot of rationalization. Catch a tech-writer out, and you'll get a shrug. That's the difference between having an academic orientation and not having one.

Tech writing conventions are somewhat like teacher's conventions: long on
how to and short on research. That doesn't mean research isn't going on; it
just means that practitioners are doing the research.

Exactly my point. Research is central to the whole point of a university. Most tech-writers - including, all too often, me - aren't very concerned about research. That's what I mean about a lack of academic orientation.

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr