Re: Tech Writing Curriculum

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Curriculum
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:01:13 -0800

Nealon, Jessica wrote:

English departments are very suspicious of
tech writing in their departments. There is a fundamental rift between the
two that is palpable. Literary people seem to tolerate us because we draw
people into the department, but they do not appreciate the vocational aspect
of tech writing and tech writing students.

[snip]

Elitism runs deep in the English department.
Part of the reason for this division is that a new specialty in an English department means a new power base for someone. Any new specialty, including children's literature, science fiction, post-colonialism, and women's studies has been met with similar suspicion over the last couple of decades.

However, in the case of tech-writing, the lack of toleration has a concrete justification. Because tech-writing is vocational, it is far more likely to receive funding and support than traditional literature studies. At a time when most departments have to struggle to receive funding for one tenured literature professor to replace the two or three who are retiring, naturally this support is going to be resented.

At time when very few believe in a liberal education, tech-writing can seem like the start of the conversion of English departments into vocational colleges. This fear is not elitism (or, if it is, then call me an elitist), but concern for the loss of a concept very close to many people's hearts. It can be practically defended on the grounds that vocational training becomes obsolete more easily as the demands and fashions of business change, but the real opposition comes from the belief that a liberal education makes a more humane and civilized person. There are few enough places today where a liberal education is valued, and tech-writing courses appear to undermine one of the last of them.

When I run the word, tech-writing courses will be confined to training colleges where they belong. But, then, I feel the same about Business degrees, and nobody listened to me on that subject, either (the fools!).

"In the shadow of the cottonwood grass don't grow
And it's well you know the reason why
As we stepped out together at the county faire
To dance away the cool from a cool Spring night."
-James Keelaghan, "County Faire"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr