Re: Tech Writing Curriculum

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Curriculum
From: "Nealon, Jessica" <Jessica -dot- Nealon -at- McKesson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:08:54 -0500

University of Colorado and Denver and NC State in Raleigh have wonderful
programs. Consult their web sites and review their programs.

In addition to the technical courses, I think some study of Cognitive
Science and Project and People Management are extremely valuable for a tech
writer. On a more personal note, I would say that a Certificate program is
going to attract people with a more mercenary attitude towards education.
They will come to further their careers, not to discuss theories. These are
the people who were already "enlightened" as undergrads, now they want
something to show to an employer.

Which brings me to my second point: portfolio. Every course in my program
is project based and you are graded on the portfolio that you turn in at the
end of class. The best part is that you have to write an essay defending,
explaining, and critiquing both your work and the process of working on it.
This accomplishes three things:

1) It's awesome preparation for defending your work in the business world.
2) It gives you something to take to a potential employer. That's how I was
hired.
3) It really teaches you how to refine your development process.

Regards,

Jessica Nealon
Technical Writer
Paragon Product Assurance Group - CLT