Converting PowerPoint to PDF - how to include notes?

Subject: Converting PowerPoint to PDF - how to include notes?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:35:34 -0500

Max Gente wonders: <<I was asked by one of our tech support managers to
convert several PowerPoint presentations to PDF, which
was not a big deal. But then I was also asked if it was possible to include
the notes from PPT file into the resulting PDF. And this is where I got
stuck. I cannot find a way to achieve this.>>

I can think of two ways to do this, one easy (if it works) and the other a
pain in the butt. The easy way: When you select the Print command in
PowerPoint, you'll see a field labeled "Print what?" towards the bottom of
the dialog box. Select "Notes", then make sure your Acrobat printer driver
is selected. (I'm still waiting for my full install of Acrobat, so I can't
test this. If all you get is the notes, and not the slides, then you can
always distill just the slides in a second pass, then add the notes into the
final PDF using Acrobat Exchange.) The hard way: Copy the notes text into
Word, then distill it from Word. When done, add the notes into the final PDF
using Exchange.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Computers are like Old Testament gods-lots of rules and no mercy."--Joseph
Campbell