Rules of Indexing - A 12-Step Program for Indexers

Subject: Rules of Indexing - A 12-Step Program for Indexers
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:49:12 -0000

This is the kind of thing I need to hear on Monday morning. (By Bob
Richardson <ROBJRICH -at- aol -dot- com> of Index-L...)

Substitute "technical writer" for "indexer", and "documentation" for
"indexes/ing" on steps 1, 4, 10, and 12. Substitute "doughnuts" for
"chocolate" on step 11. Otherwise, it's a universal resource.
~~~~~~~~~~

A TWELVE-STEP PROGRAM FOR INDEXERS

1. We admitted that we were powerless over clients - that once out of our
hands our indexes had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that only self-confidence and a Power of Detachment
could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our professional lives and reputations over to
the practice of our chosen calling as we understand it.

4. Made a searching and fearless review of the organization and style of
our indexes, always keeping in mind that there is no One Right Way.

5. Admitted to ourselves and a few trusted colleagues the exact nature of
our errors and anxieties.

6. Were entirely ready to remove all these defects of style, accuracy and
self-confidence

7. Humbly asked God to help us make the next deadline.

8. Made a list of all editors and colleagues we had made unkind comments
about, recognizing that they probably were stressed to the max and were
doing the best they could.

9. Made amends to such editors and colleagues wherever possible, except
when to do so simply stirred the pot and exposed us to further hassle.

10. Continued to take inventory of our indexes, and when we were wrong
hoped that we could catch the errors in time.

11. Sought, through prayer and chocolate, to improve our speed and
accuracy, praying only that when we overcommit we have the will and power to
carry it out.

12. Having come to an understanding about how stressful and difficult
indexing can be, tried to be supportive to newbies and colleagues who were
going through their dark nights of the soul.

Jane Carnall
There are NO spielling Errars or Gamarratacal ones either. I don't care what
the company font is, I will use the cute one that looks like bunny rabbits.