RE: "Turn on the radio?"

Subject: RE: "Turn on the radio?"
From: "Dugas, Andrew" <ADugas -at- eTranslate -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:51:46 -0800

Hmmm, I sort of disagree but like where you're going.

As a coworker suggested, "turn on" in this context is not a phrasal verb.
"On" modifies radio. A parallel would be "Set phasers to stun," the idea
being that ON is a setting of the radio, not part of a two part verb.

In this sense, "turn the radio on" seems perfectly acceptable.

However, as one who has walked in multilingual circles for 13 years, I would
avoid confusion by treating "turn on" as a phrasal. Context prevents
confusion with the true phrasal "turn on" as in the sexual meaning.