Re: Freelance ethical dilemma

Subject: Re: Freelance ethical dilemma
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:54:48 -0500

Emily Cotlier wrote:
<I do freelance tech writing/marketing writing for a
> small software company, and I've been working with them for about a
year...
> they decided to hire someone to work on their marketing communications
> full-time. They hired the right person... She's my new contact there and
my
> tech writing work will be filtered through her, which is working very
well.
> However, I've been getting calls from my previous contact there, asking me
> to work on projects which are firmly in their marketing writer's territory
> and capabilities. I know that he's asking me because I'm well acquainted
> with their software, and because we work well together - but I think he
> ought to be working with the in-house marketing writer on these pieces.>>

Emily,

Is there any reason you didn't say to your old contact, "What about <your
new contact>?" Is this all right with her?"

If you are already working with the new contact and it is going well, it
seems to me that you should *not* continue with your old contact. You also
should probably *not* meet with him at all without clearing it with your new
contact.

It is not at all too late for you to ask your old contact, "What about <your
new contact>?" Is this all right with her?". Pick up the phone and call him.

Bonnie Granat - http://home.att.net/~bgranat
Technical Editor and Writer - 617-354-7084

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr