Humdinger 177 help file error

Subject: Humdinger 177 help file error
From: "Wen the Lew" <wlewis -at- nclogic -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:57:55 -0500

I have a problem that I've had for a couple years
and just now discovered. One of my 15 or so help
files will not build the find list of keywords.
When you try to minimize or maximize search
capabilities from the Find tab of the launched
help file, you get Error 177, can't write the .fts
file.

After some serious snooping, we (me and two of our
lead developers) found it to be on 98/Me boxes in
which the User32.dll has a version of 4.10.2222.
Systems with a build number of 4.10.2227 work.
This may or may not be a real factor.

We asked ForeHelp who said, User32.dll is a
Windows file, go ask Microsoft. After searching
the internet, we found about 10 different
causes/fixes for this error. None of which seem to
work. The offending systems are simply not
allowing the .fts file to be written, although
they will write the .gid.

Things tried:
* Keywords without topics
* No keywords
* Links to files with the same names as WinHelp
files.
* Limiting topics, links, and keywords.

Oh yea. We also considered distributing the .fts
file with the .hlp and .cnt, but if the customer
tries to rebuild Find, the same error appears and
the .fts file is deleted.

I'd appreciate any suggestions of dealing with
problem.

Wendy Lewis

PS. Another note, Microsoft seems to have the same
problem with one of the Windows help files... on
an NT box?

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr