Fw: cats on leashes (was Re: Technical review of documentation?)

Subject: Fw: cats on leashes (was Re: Technical review of documentation?)
From: "Geneve Gil" <geneve -dot- gil -at- interwoven -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:27:21 -0600

Well, seeing as how we've gotten completely and utterly away from the
subject of writing and into cats on leashes...

This is how I taught my cat Pia to walk on a leash: I connected two leashes
or strings (various different ones at different times) and, in the middle, I
attached a cat toy. So every time I pulled on the leash (which was long,
being two tied together), I dragged the cat toy, causing Pia to pounce after
it, and I could just walk along with her leaping happily behind me. Soon I
could also walk her without the toy, because she associated the leash with:
1) playing with toys and 2) going out to fun places.

Also, for the first three months I had her, I took her with me everywhere I
went, all the time, in my car (yes, every day to work, all day long). So Pia
*LOVES* the car. Even now. Even on the way to and from the vet. She leaps
in, jumps up to the ledge under the back windshield, and cleans herself,
naps, and watches traffic. She doesn't even want to get out of the car when
we get home.

There's also a show at Sea World called Pet Tales that could radically blow
your mind when it comes to what one can train a cat to do:

"Dogs, cats, pot-bellied pigs, and other cute creatures, many rescued from
animal shelters, compete in the Doggie Derby obstacle course and Animal
Olympics among other smile-producing segments."

You would not *believe* what the cats in that show do. And the most amazing
of all their feats was learned by one of the San Antonio Sea World cats in
just two weeks. I'll give you a hint--it involves high wires. Very, very
*high* wires! I'm telling you, it's unfeckingbelievable.

Here's a resource on training cats:

How to Get Your Cat to Do What You Want by pet behaviorist Warren Eckstein
http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y01Y3001531Y2707535/qid=
1004038430/sr=1-2/102-6872931-6138502

He's gotten lots of cat owners to walk their cats--successfully!--on
leashes.

Last note--I just installed an invisible fence for my two cats--something
many folks associate only with dogs. My furry babes are in feline bliss.

Re: