RE: Software Text Incorrect

Subject: RE: Software Text Incorrect
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:32:40 -0000

At 4:26 PM -0500 11/6/01, TDean -at- envirosys -dot- com wrote:
>If there is a misspelled word (of course this could apply to crazy
>programmer abbreviations) on the software screen, would you show the field
>name or term in your documentation the way it is represented in the
>software?

If this is happening a *lot*, I try to get control of the UI. (I just
mis-typed US, which is either a typo or delusions of grandeur....) If there
are a lot of crazy abbreviations showing up, it's often a lot better to have
one person in charge of what the field labels say than it is to have a bunch
of developers typing in any old thing.

If it's obviously a spelling mistake, I correct it in the documentation and
send an e-mail to the developer.

If it's not obvious what the correction should be, I document as is and use
whatever systems are in place to inquire if this is really what was
intended. (You know: (Puzzled tone of voice) "Whenever the user presses the
KALI button, the system self-destructs. Is this what's meant to happen, and
if so, shouldn't the button be called something more self-explanatory and
have a warning label on the UI?")

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr