RE: A question

Subject: RE: A question
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 13:23:52 -0800

Jason has some questions regarding W2K:

: Has anyone on this list used the Master/SubDocument management feature
in
: Word?

Yes, I inherited several tech manuals using Word2k's master/sub feature.
Most have been converted to FM books.

: If so, have you had any luck with it?

Of course! Some good, some bad.

When they worked, they worked fairly well. The Word2K implementation is
far better than the Word97 version.

We had problems exchanging the files between users, whether using the
intranet or the sneaker net. The subs usually referred back to the
original location on the other person's computer, necessitating our
learning how to rebuild the master/sub package, which isn't really that
hard.

Our best stroke of luck was when the PHB had problems with Word's
master/sub feature. I sent him a link to Adobe's site describing FM 6.0
and the rest is history :)

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr