how to index multi-book PDFs?

Subject: how to index multi-book PDFs?
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <bernd -dot- hutschenreuther -at- net-linx -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 13:13:44 +0100

Hi,

in such a case, I included both kinds of index.

1. an index for each book
2. a general index.

Structure:

Table of contents (for the whole book)
1. book
table of contents 1 (Page number toc 1-1 ... toc 1-n)
contents 1 (Page number 1-1 ... 1-x)
index for book 1 (Page number 1-1 ...1-n)
2. book
table of contents 2 (Page number toc 2-1 ... toc 2-n)
contents 2 (Page number 2-1 ... 2-x)
index for book 2 (Page number 2-1 ...2-n)

n. book
table of contents n (Page number toc n-1 ... toc n-n)
contents n (Page number n-1 ... n-x)
index for book n (Page number i-1 ...i-n)
Index for whole book

This way, in the index, you have a reference to the book.

We handled books with for to 6 parts in this way, ca. 2000 pages in the PDF file.

Additional, we produced pdf files for each book.

To create the index, you must set up all books with index and generate the index for all books.
Later, you must set up the "big" book and genrate the index.

Make sure to have the same properties for the single books and for the main book. (Start new books on a right page, start new articles in the same way, do not forget to generate/update the Table of contents and index after changes.

In the large index, you have an overall overview, and in the index to a single book, you have a more specific overview.
The small books can be printed this way separately without missing the index. You can use the large index to find, in which book there is a topic, you are searching for.

Best regards
Bernd

How would you index a document set (3000 pages, 3-7 books) packaged as a
single PDF file? Would you provide a separate index for each book, or one
cumulative index for all books in the PDF? Why?

Assumptions:

- Frame is used to create the books and indexes
- Products and users are technical (software development tools)
- Each book may be indexed by a different person
- PDFs will be accessed from CD or hard drive only (not online)

Are there any guidelines based on usability research for multi-book indexes,
such as the maximum number of different books per "global" index?

Thanks,

Eric Schieler

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr