RE: Software Text Incorrect

Subject: RE: Software Text Incorrect
From: "Beilby, Margaret" <MBeilby -at- ebuilt -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:57:17 -0800

<<I irritated my writers by requiring that they document the typos
as-is. The reason being that, to the user, if it's misspelled on the screen
and correct in the manual, the user will look at the disparity as a problem
with the manual.>>

I don't like documenting typos "as-is," but do so rather than confuse the
user. My experience has been the same--the user sees the disparity as a
problem with the manual.

Fortunately, the company I work for actively involves the writers in UI
development. The writer assigned to the project is expected to review and
correct all on-screen text. Our QA group is also expected to submit formal
bug reports for any text errors they find (and they do a really good job).
So far, I haven't had any problems with the developers refusing to correct
textual errors.

It's also company policy (established by the CEO) that nothing goes out of
the company, without a writer reviewing and correcting it (if necessary). It
means a lot of work for us, but it keeps us busy and employed!

Margaret
mbeilby -at- ebuilt -dot- com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr